‘Casatiello’ is a typical Neapolitan Easter pie filled by all the symbols of Easter: eggs, cheese and pasta crosses!
We love bringing it to our Easter trip, it is an excellent picnic food because it is superb warm, cold and reheated, it is absolutely amazing! There is always ‘Casatiello’ in my Easter’s memories, either those spent in sailing boat or skying.
Its peculiarity is kneading it with lard. If you cannot find lard you can also use butter…but it is not the same at all!
To make ‘Casatiello’ is easy, the most important thing is the choice of the ingredients. You have to choose a good salami Napoli, provolone cheese and pecorino and the eggs have to be very fresh.
Where can you find good ingredients? I did a really deep research, my favourite shop is an online shop: www.nifeislife.com, maybe some of you already know it. On nifeislife.com you can fine very good italian ingredients, the salami I used for my ‘Casatiello’ was bought through nifeislife.com and so the brewer’s yeast.I found quite difficult to find brewer’s yeast in London and actually I have not found it yet in other Italian deli so far. But I have not finish yet!
Curiosity: ‘Casatiello’ due to the lard in the dough and its ingredients, is a quite heavy pie therefore in Neapolitan dialect we use the word ‘Casatiello’ to describe a person who is a bore.
- 500 gr flour
- 300 ml water
- 1 cube brewer’s yeast
- 150 gr lard
- 20 gr salt
- 50 gr pecorino
- 100 gr provolone cheese
- 100 gr salami Napoli
- 2 eggs
- Melt the yeast in warm water.
- Place the flour on a floured pastry board and make a well, pour the softened lard, salt, pepper and the yeast dissolved in water. Knead vigorously until smooth. Let it rise in a covered bowl for 2 hours.
- In the meantime cut the cheese and salami into cubes.
- Roll out the dough and cover it with salami, provolone cheese, pecorino and eggs and then roll it up as tightly as possible.
- Grease a baking tin with the hole and place the roll in it and let it rise an other hour.
- Heat oven to 180 °C and bake for one hour, then remove and allow to cool.