It’s been raining for hours and I feel that autumn has arrived. Besides, the vegetable and fruit markets starts selling beautiful red pomegranates, big chestnuts and fabulous orange pumpkins. So, it’s soup time! Not a normal soup, a velvet pumpkin soup, creamy and sweet. In order to give a creamy consistency we don’t need to add cream or milk, we can use potatoes; therefore our soup will be healthier. A couple of years ago I found out that pumpkin and Gorgonzola is a magnificent combination, where the sweetness of pumpkin meets the strong flavour of the Gorgonzola. If you cannot find Gorgonzola you can choose any other type of blue cheese.
Velvet Pumpkin soup with Gorgonzola crouton
- 500 gr pumpkin
- 250 gr potatoes
- 200 gr of water
- 1 shallot
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 50 gr Gorgonzola cheese (stilton or another type of blue cheese)
- Peel the potatoes and the pumpkin and cut them into cubes
- Chop the shallot and sauté it in extra virgin olive oil till golden brown
- Add the pumpkin and the potatoes and make them sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the water and simmer for about 20 minutes, until they are well cooked.
- Transfer soup to blender or food processor and process till very smooth
- Preheat the oven to 220 °C
- Cut the bread slices into cubes
- Place onto the bread cube the Gorgonzola cheese and bake till the bread gets crunchy and the cheese melts
- Serve the soup very hot